1.28.2012

things I like this week, vol. 22.2

We appear to have a book theme going, still.

. . .


If Famous Writers Had Written Twilight
.

. . .

It's an art installation called The Obliteration Room by Yayoi Kusama. It was originally white; they gave stickers to kids who visited until the whole thing was covered. (This photo is about halfway through the process.)

I'm sure there's some sort of pattern analysis one could make.

. . .

This map won best in show at the annual competition of the Cartography and Geographic Information Society, and it was done by one man. The article includes a lengthy analysis of why his map is so impressive - and you'll understand, after reading it.

Am contemplating buying it for Joley.

. . .

Steve McCurry's blog continues to impress.

. . .

Backstage at the New York City Ballet, from their facebook page.

. . .

I have linked at least three people to this blog post with hot toddy recipes. I made the first one with Jack Daniel's Tennessee Honey (since I just happened to have the ingredients at hand), and it was delicious. I highly recommend them.

. . .

All I have is the image address.

. . .

Fascinating and horrifying pictures of abandoned theatres. I'm always interested in shots like these, but somehow the idea that someone would abandon a theatre never occurred to me (despite having taken J to see the recent Muppets movie). It's as though, in my head, theatres were like that joke the Player makes in Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead:

Player: You know what happens to old actors?
Ros: What?
Player: Nothing. They're still acting.


. . .

I have a strong disdain for Louis Vuitton, but I want this. A lot. Even though it would be really heavy. But then, if one can afford Louis Vuitton, especially vintage, one can afford to hire someone to carry it for you.

. . .


25 Things I Learned From Opening a Bookstore
. Number 19 is particularly relatable.

3 comments:

  1. I've always like Kusama's work, so her working with kids is extra great.

    The Map as Art is a cool book I got for Javier that reminds me of your map above, kind of.
    http://www.amazon.com/Map-Art-Contemporary-Artists-Cartography/dp/1568989725/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1327852903&sr=8-1

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sticker room!! I would do that in a second, except that I'm way too particular and would freak out every time one of them got scuffed or torn or anything.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun stuff! I also covet the book-trunk-thingy. Although I would have few books that would look that cool in it.

    ReplyDelete

Leaving comments is good karma.