12.08.2011

lying up

The other day, as a joke, I told my students I was turning 40 today.

(The little smart things that they are came back immediately with, "Really? We thought you were older." Zing.)

But it got me thinking . . . the stereotype is to lie and say you're much younger than you are, which has always seemed perfectly silly to me, especially once I realized that if people believe you, they're very likely going to think you look a little haggard for your age.

How much more intelligent to lie up instead of down? Then people think you look fantastic, and endow you with assumed wisdom and experience to boot.

I think I'm going to be turning 40 for at least the next five years.

1 comment:

  1. I, on the other hand, am wishing I had another five years to pretend to be 40! :)

    ReplyDelete

Leaving comments is good karma.