7.15.2011

best use of poetic imagery in song lyrics (probably pt.1)

I've smoked my friends down to the filter.

He's not the kind of wheel you fall asleep at.

~ Tom Waits

Happiness hit her like a bullet in the back.


There's a ghost in my mouth and it talks in my sleep, wraps itself around my tongue as it softly speaks.

~ Florence + the Machine

Waking up without you is like drinking from an empty cup.

Is he dark enough - enough to see your light? . . . does he drive you wild, or just mildly free?

Loving is fine if you have plenty of time for walking on stilts at the edge of your mind.

~Damien Rice

Called to see if your back was still aligned and your sheets were growing grass out of the corners of your bed.

~The Shins


And the piano's this melancholy soundtrack to her smile.

~The Airborne Toxic Event

Words are flowing out like endless rain into a paper cup.

~The Beatles

2 comments:

  1. The Shins are writing my favourite lyrics around. It's not very imagey, but I think their best line is:

    Since then it's been a book you read in reverse
    So you understand less as the pages turn.
    Or a movie so crass
    And awkwardly cast
    That even I could be the star.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is also a good line, and it is poetic - they're both metaphors. I probably would've included it if I'd remembered it.

    Incidentally, each line is linked to the song it's from.

    ReplyDelete

Leaving comments is good karma.