7.10.2012

excellent foppery

Auditioned for a production of Shrew tonight with the same company that I did Merchant with last year. One of the guys did this speech of Edmund's, from Act 1 scene 2 of Lear, and reminded me how much I love it. 
This is the excellent foppery of the world, that, when we are sick in fortune,--often the surfeit of our own behavior,--we make guilty of our disasters the sun, the moon, and the stars: as if we were villains by necessity; fools by heavenly compulsion; knaves, thieves, and treachers, by spherical predominance; drunkards, liars, and adulterers, by an enforced obedience of planetary influence; and all that we are evil in, by a divine thrusting on: an admirable evasion of whoremaster man, to lay his goatish disposition to the charge of a star! My father compounded with my mother under the dragon's tail; and my nativity was under Ursa major; so that it follows, I am rough and lecherous. Tut, I should have been that I am, had the maidenliest star in the firmament twinkled on my bastardizing.
I think we are less likely to blame stars in modern times as we are circumstance, but the point remains.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leaving comments is good karma.