8.30.2013

still dreaming

On the southeast corner of Stone and Wetmore is a moveable sign of the sort often employed by churches and small businesses. It sits at the corner of what looks to be an office building, but seems to exist only to subject passerby to an often aggressive viewpoint, like an overgrown bumper sticker.

The first message I remember seeing on it was
NO INCUMBENTS
THROW THEM ALL OUT
Another memorable one - which stayed up for some time - was
PHX BRICKYARD SELLS 3RD QUALITY BRICKS
DON'T BUY EM
 

When I drove by this Monday, it read
MLK AUG 28 1963
50 YEARS AND WE'RE STILL DREAMING

 
Although the sign's rants often come off as paranoid and angry, this particular message resonated with me. I'm still dreaming, too, and I worry that fifty years is not half the time it'll take to rid this country of the prejudice that infects it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leaving comments is good karma.